The Government and Danish Regions agree that the Danish strategy for personalised medicine in the healthcare system should still focus on patient and clinical needs. More focus should be on diseases and risk groups as a basis for research and development.
In the short term (2021-2022), the Government and Danish Regions will collaborate on the implementation of the strategy in several areas. This will take place in three parallel phases
- Initial use of the infrastructure for whole genome sequencing
- Research infrastructure for personalised medicine
- Further development of personalised medicine and inclusion of several data sources
Phase 1: Initial use of the infrastructure for whole genome sequencing
- Establishment of a steering committee for the implementation of personalized medicine in Denmark
- Further development and commissioning of a secure, joint and national technological infrastructure for genome sequences and expansion of data storage
- 60,000 whole genomes sequenced in the healthcare system by 2024
- Reporting of data from comprehensive genetic analysis in the healthcare system for the national genome database
Phase 2: Research infrastructure for personalised medicine
- Implementation and further development of a national research infrastructure for personalised medicine
- Use of the research infrastructure in research and development projects
- Consolidation of the regional data support centres for personalised medicine
Phase 3: Further development of personalised medicine and inclusion of several data sources
- Analysis of the possibility of including more data sources in the personalized medicine infrastructure
There will be ongoing involvement of patients, citizens and professionals, and the development will take place in dialogue with the stakeholders. There will be continuous focus on the ethical and legal aspects.
There is a large potential associated with the use of genetic information for diagnostics, treatment and prevention within many disease areas. The Government and Danish Regions agree that a collective Danish effort within the field of personalised medicine must focus on research and genome sequencing within disease areas and risk groups. In the long term, the ambition is to expand the effort with more data sources and other technologies.
Download the Danish Strategi for Personalised Medicin 2021-2022 here